Visualizzazioni totali

martedì 31 maggio 2011

Day 12

Okay so as promised, lets start the action packed day.

Started off going to get my scholarship which was reviewed and I was given the full $500 instead of the pro-rated $250 that I was expecting.  Thats great news, even though it ends up only being around 147 Euros.  Anything is helpful.  Went to my local cafe where got something that is like a pizza and a sandwich at the same time.  Always delicious.

Came back to get ready for class and checked my email real quick.  Thankfully I did because apparently class is cancelled because of a public transportation strike.  I had no idea this was going on, but for once I was actually disappointed that a class was canceled.  I only have around 10 of these classes, and really believe that it could be my favorite class ever.  Of course, to make up class time she wants to reschedule it during a time where everyone is planning trips.  I am not worried though, she seems very flexible and already has wrote back saying too many people are going on trips.

Not wanting to stay in, I ventured out determined to make my own adventure.  Stopped first at the local market, where traders set up their own shops.  Everything from fruits and vegetables to t-shirts and souvenirs are available there.  Decided to give a fruit cup with kiwi, pineapple, cantelope and watermelon a try.  Wow.  These really are the best quality fruits i've ever eaten.  I couldn't believe how great it was.  My mouth is watering as I write this and I'm not even hungry.

Continued on past the large white marble monument to Vittorio Emmanuel II, the first King of Unified Italy.   













 Found where the Imperial forum was, which had numerous buildings created between 46BC and 116 AD.  Everything from monuments to Augustus Caesar to Julius Caesar and even a temple of peace were built here.














Noticed as I was passing many of the monuments that not just the usual police, but actual military were present in their uniforms and of course with their weapons.  Didn't really understand why--will visit that in a minute.

Great view of the Colosseum as I found a nice, grassy park that was nearby in my exploring.











This park was very clear and grassy.  In a part of Rome that you usually cannot find any open space, much less a large grassy park, I found that interesting.  Turns out this is the site of the Domus Aurea, a large villa that was built by the conceited emperor Nero.  The Domus Aurea is under excavation, and was not available to the public.  This land was once populated with many buildings several thousand years ago until a great fire burned it to the ground.  The land was then taken by Emperor Nero to build his own personal villa.  Rumor has it, it is very accepted that the Emperor himself secretly set fire to the land.  Nowadays, it is widely accepted through science and psychologists that Nero was mentally retarded.  Many actions point to that...none less than him marrying his own sister.

Continued on the end of the park where I found the Ambassador's house to one of the Arab nations.  His backyard just happens to be an ancient thermal baths.


While much of the world could not even find water, Rome had its own public heated baths.  These baths were heated by slaves that would feed coal into a furnace below the bath.  The water would be scented with natural herbs or spiced wines.  It was typical after a bath for a Roman to receive a massage and aromatherapy.  Sounds like they still bathe nicer than we do.





So continued on in an unknown direction, actually stumbling into an Italian college where I definitely did not fit in with my shorts and tourist camera.  Managed to find my way out and ended up on a road overlooking the Colosseum...which is where I found out why the military had been stationed everywhere.

So apparently there was a mass protest.  I have seen videos of European protests, they are not small and usually are violent.  I saw no violence here but tried figuring out what they were protesting.  Keep in mind this is where I was like only an hour before--and this is the start of the protest.  More people joined.










Couldnt read many of the signs because of my lack of Italian understanding.  I could get this one, No Privatizing of the Public Services.  In Rome there are many great public fountains, where you can literally drink the water out of or fill your water bottle up.  Privatizing the water companies would take the burden of the city of Rome, but that would mean all these wonderful fountains would likely be shut off.  There would be no profit in free water.




The protest was pretty intense, cars that got stuck in the middle of it were stuck for 30 minutes.  The police eventually came and started directing 5 lanes of traffic another direction.  This is a major road through the heart of Rome that was interrupted, and although the city seemed expectant of the protest, I dont think they knew exactly when it would happen.

Being me, I had to walk down and walk past.  No sense in getting in the middle of it, but I did want to explore more of the ruins beside the Colosseum.

Arch of Constantine built in triumph of in the Battle of Milvian Bridge around 312 AD.  The battle was pretty much the ending of a Civil War in Rome.  Yepp, America didnt even originate the good 'ol Civil War.  Speaking of Civil War, saw the Confederate flag on the back of a bus here called the General Lee.  Pretty funny.
Some of the ancient ruins that i walked past where churches and markets were erected, sometime around the turn of the millennium from BC to AD.  Very beautiful. Hard to imagine, but the ancient Romans hated bricks.  Everything brick you see, was once covered at least with marble.  Most likely the marble was recycled for things many many centuries later, however long before America was a country.  Obviously before we started to appreciate history.




Entrance inside the ruins, note the preserved picture that is on top. I am just guessing, but it looked like Jesus when I passed by.  Very cool.


















So found my way out of the ruins and back past where the protests were being held.  Made my way back to Capitoline Hill and walked towards my apartments.
 Not Military, but the Police were armed and had their riot shields and everything.  They definitely prepare for the worst here.  this wasnt even where the protest was being held.









Been cooking dinner more often to save money, and cooked Rigatoni and Texas toast tonight.  Not too bad considering I usually don't cook pasta.

Actually finished booking my trip with my roomates to the Netherlands! So excited.  Going to be in the heart of Amsterdam.  Plan to look at the Van Gogh museum and apparently the house that Anne Frank hid at is also in the heart of Amsterdam.

Went out for a walk at night after stress of booking a trip this close to the date.  As i was leaving, watched about 20-25 police motorcycles leave at full speed.  Several riot vans left as well.  Apparently the protests didnt finish.  Was deep in thought in my walk and someone stuck their hand out at me while i was walking, the owner of the local cafe.  Very nice man, I do love the people here.  Everyone is always so happy and very nice to you.  So that was the end of my exciting day.

Hope that I stayed true to my word and this was at least an interesting day.  I sure know it was for me.  Look for more as the weekend approaches and we venture to the Almalfi coast, Naples, and Pompeii.  Thank you all for reading!

Nessun commento:

Posta un commento